Monday, June 29, 2009

Breach

I am an IT Consultant. Exactly what I do depends on who I'm working for because I'm capable of doing many things. The reason I'm being explicit about being a consultant is because I want you to understand that I don't have a single employer. I have clients, and depending on the contract sometimes their problems become my problem. This weekend was one of those times.

A system was compromised and for a brief period of time bad things may have happened in a client's name. Though the process of identifying, diagnosing, and fixing the problem took me less than an hour the ramifications were more far reaching than I could have imagined. It could have been a Titanic moment.

I really want to write about the who, what, where, when, and why of this experience but I'm not at liberty to do so. But one day I will be, so I'm putting this out there now as a reminder to myself to finish this conversation.